I know I have kinda of disappeared off the face of the planet for the past month or so, but I have good reasons (I think?) The most prominent reason being that we got caught up in an unexpected house hunt. I won’t get into too much detail about it, but long story short, we went from thinking about buying a house in a few years down the road to buying one within a month or so. Ultimately there were certain aspects of our life that didn’t line up with the plan and it would be much easier to start looking at the end of the year rather than right this second. With that being said, I spent about 3 weeks thinking I was going to uproot my whole life out of nowhere, so crochet wasn’t really on my radar for a little bit.
While the house hunt got postponed and we started settling back into our normal routine, I still think my mind is a little dazed by the whirlwind that has been the past few weeks. Unfortunately, now that the storm has calmed, the clouds have seem to have cleared and left me with the feeling that I have lost my crochet motivation again.
Honestly, it hasn’t been easy to feel like I lose my creativity every couple of weeks at this point ( seriously what is going on??). My cycle seems to be a little bit like this…
- Step 1: Come out of creative slump
- Step 2: Get a million ideas that i’m really excited about and feel like i’ll never go through creative withdrawal again
- Step 3: Spend a long time deciding which one of the ideas I want to start working on (and get overwhelmed by the amount of ideas)
- Step 4: Start working on project and start to freak out about the details of how to write the pattern
- Step 5: Begin doubting if the project is worth doing if it will take so much time and I don’t know the best way to write the pattern
- Step 6: Go through a mix of trying to problem solve, but become discouraged and decide to give up on the design
- Step 7: Consider what other idea of the ones I came up with I could work on instead.
- Step 8: Find a reason to not make everyone of those ideas cause i’m still discouraged from the previous design
- Step 9: Decide that I just need to take a little break to get my confidence and flow back
- Step 10: That “little break” stretches on until I get depressed from not having a creative outlet and feel like I have no motivation and just have to wait till it comes back
DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE?? Because this cycle is ruling my life right now and I would really like to break it if possible.
I have had so many feelings about so many things that have to do with the creative process lately and I have just been keeping them to myself and hoping they would pass, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
SO, for the first time in a long time I decided to make a YouTube Video about one of the aspects of this whole crochet process that has been bogging me down, Pattern Writing.
I partially needed to make this video for myself because I had so much I needed to get of my chest, but also I have a strong feeling that i’m not the only one who feels the way I do about writing patterns.
I wish that the focus of this post could have been advice on how to get out of a creative funk, but unfortunately that is a category that I could use some help with. I’m not really sure how/when my motivation will come back, but I really do hope that it is soon.